Historic Latta plantation “closed until further notice” after controversial June 17 event canceled
(FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – The historic Latta Plantation is closed until further notice, Mecklenburg County officials said Thursday after the cancellation of a June 17 event featuring a fugitive slave owner.
Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation will assess how to use the site appropriately and forward thinking, Meck County officials said in a social media statement.
This site was previously managed by Historic Latta Place, Inc., a private, not-for-profit organization. Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation is not renewing the contract with Historic Latta Place, Inc. for the financing and operation of Historic Latta Plantation, officials said Thursday.
Historic Latta Place, Inc. was recently criticized for planning a reenactment of a white slave owner being chased by Union soldiers. The re-enactment was scheduled for June 19 – the traditional commemoration date for the emancipation of slaves in the United States, known as “Juneteenth”.
The event was quickly canceled. Mecklenburg County has said it has “zero tolerance” for programs that do not represent equity and diversity.
Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation is evaluating the future use of the property while continuing to operate the Latta Nature Reserve, including walking trails and other nature reserve amenities.
“Over the next few months, we will be evaluating the best way forward for Latta Plantation and its programming, ensuring the site is used appropriately and forward-thinking,” said Park and Recreation Director W . Lee Jones. “As our review continues, we believe it is in the best interest of the community and the property to close at this time until more plans can be announced.”
All previously scheduled and future programs and operations of the historic Latta Plantation are canceled, and the house and grounds will remain closed until further notice.